Updated: Nov 7, 2020
Have you fallen in love with Cauliflower Rice yet? I have! I love cauliflower to begin with but being able to buy frozen, plain cauliflower rice at the grocery store has opened up a whole new world of cauliflower for me. I put it in soups, use it in savory salads, add it to casseroles and (now) as the base of a stir-fry.
I am flextarian which means I mostly eat a plant-based diet but I will have meat or fish as well. Since I became flextarian, my diet has become more varied and I am always looking to try something new. This Cheesy Vegan Cauliflower Rice Stir-fry has opened a whole new world to me. It is the first time I used nutritional yeast and now I know why it is called vegetarians crack!
This recipe uses zucchini, green pepper, onions and mushrooms for the stir-fry. However, you could easily substitute broccoli or snow pea pods or even carrots. It just depends on what veggies you and your family like.
The one thing I highly recommend is to caramelize the onions and brown the mushrooms. They become sweet which is a nice off-set to the turmeric used on the cauliflower rice. Oh I didn't mention turmeric in the title of the recipe? Sorry - I love adding turmeric where ever possible. I mean look at how lovely the cauliflower rice looks after turmeric is added to it! Such a beautiful contrast to the rest of the veggies.
Ok - enough of me gushing over the recipe. It is up to you now! If you try the recipe below, let me know what you thought. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram as @heatherleehurst and use the #heathershealthhabits hashtag. For more recipes, wellness and fitness topics, follow my blog on Bloglovin.
RECIPE Serves 4
1 bag of frozen, plain cauliflower rice
1 zucchini, sliced
1/4 onion, sliced
1/2 green pepper diced
5-8 mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp black pepper
1) Slice all vegetables.
2) Using some olive oil, start to cook onions 3-4 minutes. Next add the mushrooms. Continue to cook as the onions caramelize and the mushrooms start to brown.
3) Meanwhile. put the frozen cauliflower rice into a pan and start to heat through on a medium-low heat. You can add a tablespoon or so of water to avoid scorching of the rice. I prefer to heat the cauliflower rice on the stove because I find the microwave makes the rice very moist.
4) Once the onions and mushrooms are cooked through, add the zucchini and green peppers. I like them on the crunchy side so I only cook them 3-5 minutes. If you like your veggies softer, cook longer.
5) When the cauliflower is heated through, add the nutritional yeast, turmeric and black pepper. Add two tablespoons of water and stir to mix thoroughly.
6) When the veggies are done, put the cauliflower rice on a dish and surround with the veggies.
Dinner is served!